ViaSat, Inc. Senior Software Engineer in Dublin, Ireland
Senior Software Engineer
Senior Software Engineer
WHO WE ARE:
ViaSat is in the business of connecting the world. As a global broadband services and technology company, we connect international communities to the internet by offering residential internet service; enabling passengers and operations crews to stream high-bandwidth media, applications and content when traveling globally on commercial, business or government aircraft and maritime vessels. We deliver and protect information – when and where it is needed most – with our trusted communications ground systems, infrastructure, and services.
ViaSat Ireland is one of the country’s most innovative, interesting and exciting technology companies. Based in Dublin city centre's Silicon Docks, beside Trinity College, Merrion Square, Government Buildings and quality transport hubs, we build scalable mobile apps and enterprise software for airlines. ViaSat Ireland is part of a fast-growing, global brand, which designs and launches satellites, delivering quality connectivity to people in the most challenging places - including at 30,000 feet!
We're growing exponentially, creating an immediate requirement for the best people, and significant opportunities for career growth. We work hard to exceed our clients' expectations, but we also like to have fun and make every team member feel valued. We offer an amazing benefits package, flexible start and finish times, an inclusive company culture, the opportunity for worldwide travel and a proactive corporate social responsibility policy that embraces diversity and personal growth. Sound like a good fit for you? We always love to hear from talented, enthusiastic people, so please click on the button for any of our openings and tell us why you rock. Thanks for considering ViaSat Ireland as your career choice.
WHAT WE NEED:
We need a ‘passionate about code and quality’ software engineer who has delivered complex enterprise applications on the JVM.
You will be joining a cross-functional agile team delivering new features and enhancements to one or more of our products: http://www.arconics.com/arconics-apps-product-suite/
You will be working alongside talented product managers, software engineers and UX / interface designers. You will be mentoring and training the more junior members of your team and will be contributing at the highest level to our software’s design and architecture. You will be responsible for writing automated tests, coding, software configuration and writing documentation. You will help facilitate and improve our Agile process.
Key responsibilities are:
Our software is primarily built on the JVM and exposes rich RESTful APIs that are consumed by our native mobile clients, our single page web apps and airlines. The backend technologies include: Spring-Boot and much of the Spring stack interacting with datastores like MySQL, MongoDB, Redis and Elasticsearch. We build, automate and deploy with Gradle, Gulp, Ansible, Docker. We have supporting tools written in Python, Bash and Groovy.
• Enterprise application development on the Spring stack
• Working within your favorite IDE: IntelliJ
• Writing software in Java, Groovy or Kotlin dependent on code base
• Testing automation with Groovy
• Writing unit tests for complex business logic
• Writing acceptance tests for all new or behavior updates to RESTful APIs
• Contributing to our shared devops culture by improving our CI/CD pipelines
• Opportunities to work on full-stack (native & backend) development
• Contributing to our design and software development lifecycles
• Rotating into customer support sprints
• Performing code reviews or pair programming
• Opportunities to be the lead engineering contact for a designated customer
WHAT YOU NEED:
• A degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related field or equivalent practical hands on experience
• 5 years professional experience in a related job using an Agile software lifecycle including TDD, pair programming, short release cycles
• Experience with at least one automation focused scripting language
• Expert knowledge of Java, OO, unit testing, enterprise design patterns
• Experience working on a distributed cloud based architecture
• Experience designing and developing RESTful API’s
• Experience with dependency injection frameworks e.g. Spring, Guice
• Experience with build technologies e.g. Gradle, Maven
• Java application server experience e.g. Jetty, Tomcat, Undertow
• Full stack web development with a modern web framework
• Deployment and configuration management tools like Docker, Ansible
• iOS, Android or React native experience
• Automation Testing: Geb, Protractor
WHAT WE OFFER:
• A competitive compensation package which includes healthcare, vision, dental, life insurance, disability insurance, pension contribution, fitness reimbursement and much more.
• A dynamic work environment with smart colleagues
• A high degree of autonomy, flexibility and trust
ViaSat is an EEO/AA/Disability/Protected Veteran Employer. U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residence status may be required for certain positions. For positions requiring U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Resident status, verification of such status will be required upon accepting employment.