Microsemi Corporation Senior Engineer, Aerospace Electronic Design in Ennis, Ireland
Positon: Senior Engineer, Aerospace Electronic Design
Department: Aerospace Intelligent Power Solutions, PDM
Qualification: Electrical or Electronic Engineering Degree required
Scope of position:
Microsemi's Aerospace Intelligent Power SolutionsTM (IPS) group, within the Power Discretes and Modules (PDM) business unit supports the design, development and manufacturing of Microsemi's new product line of aerospace products. The group plays a critical role in the aviation sector, which continues to demand higher levels of reliability and integration in the area of power electronics in order to realise the goal of more electric aircraft (MEA).
Among the flagship products is the aviation power core module (PCM) with an integrated field programmable gate array (FPGA) and hybrid power drive (HPD) stage. The PCM controls the electrical motors used in applications such as primary flight control actuation and landing gear systems. It interfaces seamlessly with aircraft power supplies and flight computers through specific customisation and provides vital sensor feedback for monitoring.
The Aerospace IPS team in Ennis specialise in the design and manufacture of standard and custom power conversion products for high reliability applications. We take the approach of providing complete sub-system level power solutions for our customers. Our primary market is in flight critical commercial aviation systems and other aerospace applications such as space systems. We collaborate with our customers to define and provide differentiated solutions that address system and sub-system level challenges. We place great emphasis on validated solutions that work right the first time.
We have a number of key exciting Engineering positions in our Ennis based IPS design team. This position executes electronic design and development.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Take lead electronic design role in technology and product developments.
- Define new technology roadmaps for future aerospace power systems.
- Design and integrate analogue circuits, digital control, monitoring and communication hardware and firmware into standard and custom power system products while designing for manufacturing and test.
- Analyse requirements for proposals and develop winning solution concepts for presentation in clear and convincing style in technical proposals.
- Manage the breadboard, prototype and first article design verification phases of new product development.
- Conduct performance evaluations on new devices/designs, including making a determination on what to test and how to test it.
- Review engineering specifications and propose design modifications to improve reliability within cost and other performance requirements.
- Work with test engineers to develop plans for performance validation.
- Solve customer application problems and technical issues.
- Liaise with Sales and Marketing to optimise the revenue potential of new product designs.
- Liaise with other personnel such as mechanical design and drafting functions to ensure robust and manufacturable product designs.
- Liaise with component and reliability engineers to maintain exceptional reliability while pursuing reduction in cost of production.
- Support new product proposals, and proposals to modify existing products.
- Analyse and develop test plans and procedures for qualification and acceptance processes.
- Analyse product component requirements and develop procurement control drawings and documentation to ensure compliant product Bills of Material.
- Analyse product test non-conformance items and develop cause and corrective action plans for product specification compliance.
- Perform failure mode and effect analysis to identify components that pose excessive failure risks and subsequently propose changes in design.
- Advise on designs to achieve compliance to requirements, reliability and manufacturability. Act as an independent reviewer on design compliance.
- Observe conduct of tests at supplier, plant, or field locations to evaluate compliance factors, such as numbers and causes of unit failures. Monitor failure data generated by customer using product to ascertain potential requirements for product improvement.
- Take on other engineering duties as required and assigned.
- Support in-house training programmes as required.
- Travel internationally on occasion.
Requirements / Essential Skills / Attributes
- Electrical or Electronic Engineering degree with a minimum of five years' experience required. MSc. or MEng. is preferable.
- Significant demonstrated experience in high-reliability electronics environments with space or aviation applications being particularly advantageous.
- Must possess a record of achievement in electronic product development.
- Must possess proven ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Must have demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and interact across departments in a manufacturing environment.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite and electrical design analysis software.
- Candidate must have exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Candidate must have excellent attention to detail and technical writing skills. The ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organisation is required.
- Strong ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams and interface well with peers and management in a corporate setting.
- Decision-making, problem resolution and resourceful thinking skills.
- Highly energetic, motivated and self-starter.
- Willing to work in an environment that allows initiative and requires flexibility.
- Requires some international travel.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled