Medtronic Principal R&D Engineer in Galway, Ireland
Principal R&D Engineer
Galway, County Galway, Ireland
Aug 03, 2017
Together, we will change healthcare worldwide. Join us in our Mission to alleviate pain, restore health and extend life worldwide. Let’s work together to address the universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives, optimize costs and efficiencies, and expand global access. Together, we can make a real difference in the global disparity in care. By providing quality care at the lowest possible cost, we will succeed as a company, and take the future of healthcare Further, Together.
At our world leading Research Development Department in Medtronic, plc, we focus on the development of cutting edge medical devices in the Cardiac and Vascular space. Our Engineers are directly involved in the development of innovative products for use in medical procedures.
Medtronic RD seeks a highly experienced engineer to focus on all stages of the product development process from concept generation through to commercialisation of cutting edge structural heart
devices. Medtronic provides a defined technical career path with ample developmental opportunities to progress to higher levels technical leadership roles in the organization. This is an exciting opportunity to get involved in the rapidly growing world of Structural Heart where Medtronic is the market leader.
The role includes the following responsibilities and skill sets:
• Continually identify and assess opportunities for device, technology process development
• Work from basic clinical need through opportunity assessment and device concept to prototype
• Effectively represent Medtronic while interacting with physicians to distil their needs into product requirements and concepts
• Provide leadership in technical innovation across the department
• Identify and mitigate technological risks throughout the design process
• Apply understanding of anatomy physiology with engineering knowledge in materials and processes to come up with working designs
• Interface effectively and build relationships with team members, other staff and key technology and component suppliers, both locally and globally
• May be required to progress a project from concept phase into commercialization phase and play a key role on the product /process /engineering /leadership fronts
• May be required to resolve technical challenges with existing designs and support portfolio sustaining activities
• Continually contribute to generation of intellectual property
• Coach, mentor and delegate work to less experienced engineers
• Partake in cross site Technical Forums and build a network within the technical community
We are looking for a qualified person to Degree level 8 in Engineering or related discipline and desirably with 8 years’ relevant experience. You are a dynamic team player and leader and can work effectively and proactively on cross-functional teams. You are experienced with medical device product development and have a strong proven track record in innovation and project/program management. Strong communication and presentation skills are desirable. You are a good communicator and fluent in English, both in writing and speaking.
Leadership Expectations provide the framework for what we expect from all employees at Medtronic – outlining the actions and behaviors we must develop and demonstrate in pursuit of our Mission and global growth goals.
We are committed to being experts in what we do, with a clear vision of where we are going and the plan to get there.
■ Demonstrates Global Business Acumen
■ Thinks Critically and Makes Sound Decisions
■ Sets Strategic Direction
We partner with and involve others, knowing that diverse talent, skills, and perspectives lead to better outcomes.
■ Collaborates and Creates Alignment
■ Attracts, Deploys, and Develops Talent
■ Fosters Diversity and Inclusion
We are bold thinkers who create new ideas and bring our best solutions forward to benefit our patients, partners, and customers.
■ Focuses on Patient and Customer
■ Generates Breakthrough Ideas
■ Initiates and Leads Change
We do what we say we are going to do, delivering results with the highest standards.
■ Sets High Standards
■ Instils Operational Excellence
■ Drives Accountability
■ Models Ethical Behavior