General Electric Vice President and Counsel in Shannon, Ireland
GE is the world’s Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
It is not about your career… it is not about your job title… it is about who you are…. It is about the impact you are going to make on the world. You want to go into uncharted waters… do things that haven’t been done to make yours and someone else's life better. GE has been doing that for decades! We will continue to do so! We are the world’s digital industrial company.
At GE Capital at http://www.gecapital.com we’re not just bankers, we’re builders. Headquartered in Norwalk Connecticut, GE Capital is one of the world’s largest providers of credit and expertise. For more than 1 million businesses, GE Capital provides financing to purchase, lease and distribute equipment, as well as capital for real estate and corporate acquisitions, refinancings and restructurings. GE Capital operates in a number of industries, from airlines, healthcare and energy financing to fleet, franchise and middle market corporate finance. For approximately 80 million consumers, GE Capital offers credit cards and retail sales finance programs. GE Capital is an extension of GE's rich heritage of building and supporting growth, providing customers with insight, knowledge and expertise in addition to financing. At GE, developing people is embedded in our culture and integral to our growth. Join us and you’ll find yourself part of a dynamic team full of professional challenges and opportunities.
GE is committed to taking on the world’s toughest challenges. In order to fulfill that promise we rely on a culture of leadership, diversity and inclusiveness. We aim to employ the world’s brightest minds to help us create a limitless source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles…people like you!
Responsible for supporting GE Capital Aviation Services with respect to the structuring & negotiation of aircraft acquisitions & sales, sale-leasebacks & lease transactions & related matters. Provides advice & counsel to commercial deal team on legal matters. Develops/maintains commercial policies & procedures and monitors to ensure compliance. Provides advice to management on commercial contracts, legal issues & acceptable business compromises.
• The individual will be an integral part of Legal staff and will be responsible for delivering premier legal services to the business, both directly and through management and supervision of outside counsel.
• Execute on the legal strategy and direction for assigned area.
• Advise commercial deal teams on a wide variety of legal issues related to deal structuring and aviation transactions, including aircraft acquisitions and sales, sale-leaseback transactions and operating lease transactions, including lease-in/lease-out transactions.
• Work with assigned commercial deal teams to evaluate legal risks and develop implementing procedures to mitigate such risks.
• Will provide general leasing transactional support to deal teams operating in Europe and Canada.
• Responsible for portfolio management matters including reviewing and negotiating consents and waivers, delivery/redelivery issues, drafting/negotiation/closing of lease amendments, extensions, side letter agreements, engine swaps, aircraft registrations/de-registrations, aircraft insurance matters, subleasing requests, defaults, work-outs, repossessions, Cape Town Convention related matters, etc.
• Support advising the Business Segment on related regulatory issues and compliance matters.
• Prepare updates on legal developments and requirements to various audiences and provide ongoing advice on applicable laws and regulations governing the commercial activities of assigned business.
• Maintain commercial policies and procedures and monitor to ensure compliance.
• Maintain a good understanding of the industry and commercial awareness to understand the positioning of the assigned business relative to competitors.
• Must also maintain knowledge of the challenges and changes in the sector and how they relate to the company and legal strategy.
• Bachelor’s LLB degree or equivalent knowledge & experience
• Qualified to practice law in England and/or Ireland
• Proven years’ post-qualification experience in relevant asset finance transactions, based on experience at a large law firm, financial business, leasing company or corporate legal department.
• Experience in the Aviation Leasing Industry or Law Firm dealing with aircraft leasing is preferred.
• Experience negotiating complex legal terms with external clients with proven ability to find creative solutions in difficult/ complex business structures.
• Experience with and understanding of the aviation industry and technical aspects of aircraft.
• Must be willing to travel up to 40% of time.
• Required to work from the Shannon office.
• Established ability to influence actions without direct leadership responsibility for teams or processes with a proven ability to build relationships within a matrixed environment (both cross- functionally and cross-business).
• Ability to work independently and self-motivated.
• Excellent interpersonal skills – demonstrated success in working effectively with colleagues and outside parties.
• Proven leadership and business partnering skills.
• Ability to function mostly independently and effectively as a member of the legal organization and commercial deal teams.
• Experience leading successful negotiations.
• Proven success and ability to set priorities and drive projects to conclusion.
• Demonstrated ability to think and lead on a strategic level within an organization.
• Experienced within financial services industry – including an ability to understand all facets of financial services, such as leasing, secured lending and asset management.
Locations: Ireland; Shannon
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer at http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeocselfprint_poster.pdf . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.