Abbott Project Engineer in Cootehill, Ireland
At Abbott, we're committed to helping you live your best possible life through the power of health. For more than 125 years, we've brought new products and technologies to the world -- in nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices and branded generic pharmaceuticals -- that create more possibilities for more people at all stages of life. Today, 94,000 of us are working to help people live not just longer, but better, in the more than 150 countries we serve.
Abbott in Ireland
In Ireland, Abbott employs more than 3,200 people across 11 sites. Abbott has six manufacturing facilities located in Clonmel, Cootehill, Donegal, Longford and Sligo and a third party manufacturing management operation in Sligo. It has commercial operations in Dublin and shared services in Dublin and Westport. Abbott serves the Irish market with a diverse range of health care products including diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic pharmaceuticals. Abbott has been operating in Ireland since 1946.
Abbott Ireland Nutrition Division – Cootehill
Abbott Nutrition in Cootehill manufactures infant nutritional products for the export markets. The facility is dedicated to providing products of the highest quality standard to its customers.
Abbott Nutrition produces a range of infant formulae in all pack sizes under the brand name “Similac”. To complement the range of “Similac” infant formulae, the facility also manufactures a range of follow on formulae under the brand name of “Gain”. The essential ingredient is liquid skim milk and this is combined with carbohydrate, vegetable oils, vitamins and minerals. The product is blended, pasteurised, dried and packaged at the site and once packaged, is distributed to Europe, South East Asia, the Middle East, Latin America and Canada.
Established in 1975, Abbott Nutrition in Ireland is the largest powder manufacturing facility for the production of infant formulae within the Abbott Corporation worldwide.
Approximately 1,000 dairy farms in Ireland and Northern Ireland supply quality milk to the Cootehill facility which processes 500,000 litres per day. This secure supply together with Ireland’s reputation as a green, clean environment is of significant strategic importance to Abbott Nutrition.
We currently have a temporary vacancy for Project Engineer and this position will include the following:
• Follow all Health and Safety Rules and Regulations in the plant.
• Report any current or potential hazards to your immediate manager immediately
• The correct Personal Protective Equipment (P.P.E.) must be worn at all times. Consult the appropriate SOP where required.
• The Projects Engineer is responsible for consulting any SOP’s for any job task he/she may carry out and ensure they fully understand and adhere to the SOP.
• Housekeeping is a critical function of all jobs and the Projects Engineer is expected to ensure all craftsmen working under his/her supervision ensure housekeeping activities are observed and carried out appropriately. It is important that the Projects Engineer is in adherence to the Housekeeping SOP.
• It is important that GMP is a main priority in any operation carried out in this job function.
• He/she must help establish with the Engineering & EHS Manager the departmental goals, schedules and timetables for activities.
• Establish communication lines with all other departments e.g. Manufacturing, Q.A., Materials, Human Resources, Technical Operation Support and Finance.
• Plan and schedule work in accordance with plant demand and available manpower.
• Maintain adequate stores stock levels and ensure proper in/out control.
• Ensure compliance with Abbott International Global Standards, GMP & Environmental requirements.
• Responsible for promoting good employee relations.
• Ensure all Abbott employees and contractors under his/her direction are fully familiar with all Safety Rules Regulations.
• Ensure all efforts are made to reduce product cost by improving efficiencies.
• Ensure no faults occur and if they do ensure adjustments are made and checks carried out until no fault exists.
• Ensure all P.M.’s plant forms are completed accurately and maintained accordingly.
• Ensure all employees follow correct procedure when carrying out hotwork and confined space entry ensuring work permits are fully in compliance with SOPs.
• When working on equipment ensure the correct lockout – tag out procedure is adhered to.
• Ensure adherence to Working from Heights Code of Practice is followed.
• This job function will change where update procedures to GMP, EHS, Technical/New Equipment, Quality procedures and SOPs are made.
• Manage department finances within the annual organizational plan.
• Deputise for other Engineers in their absence.
• Support Business Excellence initiative in the plant.
• Responsible for capital investment in area of responsibility.
• To contribute to the organisation and planning of the Engineering & EHS Department.
• Responsible for equipment changes to drive OEE improvement.
• To contribute to the organization and planning of the engineering department.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or equivalent discipline.
• 3 years relevant experience in Engineering.
• The ability to organise, motivate and understand people.
• Ability to work on platforms, scaffolding & ladders.
• Good mental ability to logically follow a line of though for problem solving.
Accountability / Scope
• Considerable and continual care and attention is needed to avoid substantial damage to
• Continual attention needed to ensure plant reaches its annual production plan.
• Failure on the incumbent part not to exercise due care could cause repeated small
losses or occasional damage.
• Environmental non-compliance will result in EPA/Legal censorship.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Abbot welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce.
We provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.
To request accommodation, please call 224-667-4913 or email email@example.com